Thursday, June 13, 2013

Perry's letter



Yesterday I mailed off my latest short story to a magazine. 
The story came from an urgent dream that woke me up 
at 2 AM. We’ll see what happens. The main character 
in it is based on two professors who taught at WWU, 
Robert Huff (who I have mentioned before and written 
a 40 page essay on) and Perry Mills. Perry used to 
visit me at the library every week and was always 
entertaining. I gave him a copy of my book HOME 
RECORDINGS and he wrote this review:


The poem he liked so much is this:


The Witch of East Maple

Unfortunately, she didn’t get very far
on the last sunny day of winter.

Her broom swooped down the incline
from her shuttered house on the hill
and veered into the car wash bay.

Caught in hot water evaporation
only the weight of her stick
made it through to the other end.
The broom hit the pavement
like a dead branch.



No comments:

Post a Comment